We’re one week away from the Christmas festivities and part of me is super excited, but the other part of me is sad because I really miss all the lights and cheer that the season brings.
Winter break is a few days away, and being a special education teacher means I have lots of people I work with who deserve so much more than cookies and candy for everything they do. I made Christmas Chocolate Bark because it makes such a large batch and was enough to go around for everyone on my list.
What makes this extra delish is the chocolate. I am a huge fan of Ghirardelli’s bittersweet chocolate chips. They melt down so smoothly and it hardly takes any effort to get a perfectly tempered chocolate consistency. I used King Arthur Flour’s Flourish blog to get my inspiration and directions for how to make the bark. Whenever I made bark before, I would lay out all the add-ins onto a parchment sheet and drizzle the chocolate over, and then top it with more add-ins. It still makes for a good bark but all the ingredients fall out of it. The recipe from Flourish suggested melting the chocolate down, putting the add-ins directly into the melted chocolate, spreading it out onto parchment paper, and then topping it with more add-ins to give it a festive look. This worked so much better.
The result was amazing. The bittersweet chocolate was so velvety, and the Oreo’s and pretzels added a nice combo of sweet, salty and crunchy. Red and green M&M’s and Christmas sprinkles give it an extra festive touch. If you need a quick recipe to throw together and feed lots of people, this one’s for you!
Have a wonderful rest of the holiday season. Eat, drink, and be the merriest of merry. Because I know I am. Except for the drinking part, which really sucks. I’m not looking forward to that “look” my OB is going to give me at my weigh-in after the holiday season is over.
- 4 bags of Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 20 red creme Oreos (or the regular kind ), broken into quarters
- 2 1/2 cups pretzel sticks, broken into smaller pieces
- 1 bag red and green M&M's
- Christmas sprinkles
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips in large bowl until they reach a smooth consistency and everything is melted down. Carefully stir in the Oreo's, about half the bag of M&M's, and 2 cups of the pretzel pieces. Fold in until completely incorporated. Pour the chocolate mixture out onto a large piece of parchment paper and spread until the mixture is at a 1/2 inch in thickness.
- If desired, place more broken Oreo pieces on top if there are any left over, and top with the left over pretzel and M&M pieces, and the Christmas sprinkles. Lightly press the toppings into the chocolate to ensure they stay in.
- Let the chocolate set in a cool place until it is firm and can be broken into bite size pieces. Over night is best.
- This recipe is very customizable. You can add in any type of cookie, candy or nut that suits your taste.