As the summer season nears its end, I am savoring all the flavors it has to offer. I love growing basil at home because it pairs well with so many summery dishes. The smell is divine too, and it helps repel pesty bugs that I can’t wait to disappear once the cool fall weather arrives.
We spent our Sunday visiting my cousin’s new baby boy. They have a backyard and garden that is to die for. Their house sits on a large lot, allowing them to have a large space to grow veggies and a cottage-style shed that looks like it belongs on the coast of Ireland. They grilled burgers and brats for dinner, and one of my favorite pasta salads for a side dish.
My Mediterranean Pasta Salad is light, refreshing, and perfect for a hot summer day. It is quick and easy to throw together, and versatile with ingredients. You can add whatever suits your taste- olives, onion, red peppers, zucchini…
Enjoy these last few weeks of summer! I am always happy to welcome fall and all the wonderful delights it has to offer.
- 1 box Orecchiette pasta
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 8oz package mozzarella pearls
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced into bite size pieces
- 6 fresh basil leaves, washed and cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Prepare the pasta as directed on the package. Rinse with cold water after draining, and drain again.
- Pour the pasta in a large bowl. Add to the pasta the tomatoes, cheese, cucumber, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix gently until the ingredients are well combined. Chill for one hour before serving.
Thank you for reading! Follow along on Instagram @mama_du_jour and subscribe to the blog!