T-minus 3 days until Christmas Eve!
I am so excited for Phoebe and Eloise more than anything. This year Christmas is going to be a bit different for us, and unexpectedly too. My grandma was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and is most likely not going to be with us for Christmas this year. The prognosis is not good and we are all devastated. I’ve spent any free time I have at the hospital, trying to soak in my last days with her. We are very close and the last few days have been terrible.
Lots of tears and sadness, and unfortunately any desire to be merry and full of Christmas spirit has been crushed by all of this. I feel bad for Phoebe. She doesn’t understand what’s going on, but is aware that mommy is sad. I hate the she has seen me cry so much in the last few days, so I am trying to keep things as festive and fun as I possibly can.
Phoebe is really excited about making cookies to leave out for Santa, so I told her we could also make cookies for Santa’s reindeer. We used a recipe from Pinterest and modified it by using Christmas colored sprinkles.
They are super easy, quick, and fun to make. It’s a fun addition to add to the cookie menu for the holidays, and Phoebe got such a kick out of making cookies for the reindeer.
Christmas may not be the happiest this year, and I thank God for the comfort and joy my girls bring me during such sad times.
Hoping your Christmas is spent with the ones you love. Hug them tight and cherish the memories you make this season.
- 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp red and green colored nonpareils
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 8-inch square baking
- pan with parchment paper leaving 1-inch overhang.
- Combine butter, sugar and vanilla extract in medium bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour and salt. Beat until well
- mixed. Stir in nonpareils. Mixture may be very crumbly but will come together after you knead it.
- Knead dough until it forms into a ball.
- Pat dough evenly into prepared pan. Use overhang to lift
- dough from pan. Cut dough into 1/2-inch squares.
- Gently place squares 1/2 inch apart onto ungreased
- cookie sheet. Bake approximately 15 minutes or until
- bottoms just begin to brown.